Sunday, March 22, 2009

High Rollers 10 Las Vegas






After 13 hours of driving my friend Sue and I made it to the Las Vegas KOA where we had reserved a new Airstream trailer to stay in for 5 days. We arrived much earlier than expected; so we unloaded the scooters and decided to go for a ride across town to the Tropicana. It was about 10:00 pm Thursday by the time we got there. Other scooterists were out in the parking lot visiting and looking at scooters. The Rolletta was running great and I was was happy as a clam.

I was greeted by Morgan from San Fransisco. We had never met in person, but new of each other from the "odd" scoot board. It was nice to meet him face to face and talk scooters.

Sue's friend Michele was flying in to meet us so she headed back to the Airstream to get her.

After an hour or so of looking at scooters and visiting I decide to head back. A couple of kicks, the Rolletta starts right up! I head out proud that my old scooter is running strong. Just as I round the corner of the parking lot out of site of everyone she dies. I had forgotten to turn the gas back on. When I turn the petcock it makes a snapping sound and gas starts running out uncontrollably. Needles to say I'm not happy about this. I try to get the gas to stop but it won't.
So much gas is leaking out, that the scooter wouldn't run. I push it up onto a rock filled divider in the parking lot and call Sue. I ask her to bring the van and pick me up. I had thoughts of last year when my scooter died on the first ride and I missed the all of the rides.

When Sue and Michele arrived I got out the tools and started to take things apart. While I was at work the girls went off to socialize. When I take out the fuel tap I find the O ring was shot. Relieved; I loaded the scooter knowing it was just a trip to the parts house for an easy fix.

In the morning I get the O ring and repair the tap before breakfast and in time for the first ride.

When we get to the Tropicana the parking lot is a buzz of scooters and people. Quite a site to see for a scooter junkie like myself.
When I pull in and park, the first thing I get asked is "What is that?
I wish that I had a dime for every time since. It would probably pay for my trip.
Everyone seemed to like seeing her. I think the spray can paint job on the rear body made a big improvement.
















3 comments:

  1. Lee: sounds like a great weekend!!! Glad the O ring was all the trouble you had. New paint looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, for a quick spray job it looks excellent. Should just do the whole thing now. Looks the show was a bit of a success. Lots of interesting machines. Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments on the paint. It looks great in pitures, but not as I would like it to be in person. Most people didn't notice the it wasn't original though.

    ReplyDelete