Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Myth Of The Woody Wagon Part 1

Have you ever had some one tell you they've heard of some rare car just sitting in a barn near by? I have and this is that story.

One day I'm driving my 1952 Chevy station wagon and am parked in town. This man comes by and starts talking old cars with me. After 10 -15 minutes he tells me there is a Woody Wagon in a barn here locally. Well my interest was piqued then. Where is it? I ask. He goes on to tell me; I've never seen it. A friend had told him about it. I tell him that I would love to see the car, and if he didn't mind would he ask his friend to call me. I give him a business card at we say goodbye.

Part of me thinks this guy is fool of bull. But you never know. A month or so goes by and no call from the friend. Now I'm thinking the story was actually just that. A story.

Living in a small town and knowing pretty much every old car guy, I started asking around about the mythical woody wagon. No one knows any thing about it. A year goes by then another. In my mind the car doesn't really exist. I go about life not thinking of it anymore.

About six months later I get a call from a man (Fred) Who wants be to help him put in a very complicated foundation for a house. If you know me, foundations are not my favorite things to build. The only reason I said yes is that it was going to be a straw bale house and I wanted to get in on building one.

I'm putting in this foundation, talking all day during the process am getting to Fred better. I tells me his history with building,cabinet making, and life in general. Meanwhile I'm telling my story and include my love for old cars. "Oh your the guy that has the old station wagon out front of your house" Yep that's me.

Anyways; after three weeks and 60 yards of concrete we're done. We go our separate ways.

A couple of months later I get a message on my answering machine from Fred. He was on a job and found an old woody station wagon sitting in a building. Holy Sh#! it does exist!! I call Fred that evening to find out the story. He tells me it's way out; but not where. He wants to get it himself. Maybe get it as trade for labor.
the only problem is he's not a car guy and doesn't know how to work on them. he is asking me what I think. I ask him where it is and he won't say. The people don't want anyone to know it's there he says. I tell Fred to get the car and I will help him anyway I can.

A few weeks go by and I'm still on pins and needles. I give Fred a call. He tells me that the owner decided not to part with the car. It was her late husbands and it still had sentimental value to her. Where is it? I ask. I can't tell you; sorry, Is the reply. AAAggg so close to seeing it, yet so far. Well at least I know it truly is real.

I start asking everybody who may know something about this car. Nothing.

Life and time goes on and it fades to the back of my mind. That is until one day I walk into the local auto parts store my buddy Dave owns. He asks me if I want to go out this weekend to see this woody wagon in a barn? A costumer had come in and asked Dave if he might know anyone interested in buying it. Dave was.

The weekend FINALLY arrives and away we go. Seven miles of paved road and another 15 or 20 of dirt and we're there.

To Be continued


1 comment:

  1. Arrrgh Lee. Your stories leave us hanging. They're great mate. Look forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete