Sunday, March 1, 2009

Salsbury Model 85


The Salsbury model 85 is at the top of my list of coolest looking scooters ever.

Made in Pamona California between 1946 and 1949. It's believed that 1000 to 1200 were built.

I mentioned my wish list earlier. Being into American scooters the Salsbury was at the top of my list. I saw pictures of this one on a web site and was blown away. My thoughts were, "If I could find one of those It would be awesome!"
So up went wanted adds online and in the local free papers again with no luck.
It was just before Christmas two years ago while on ebay I saw the very scooter I had drooling over up for sale. I called the seller to learn m
ore about it,watched the auction and decided to bid. My bid had met the reserve but the auction still had a couple of days left. When the auction ended and my bid stayed; I couldn't
believe it. Then Oh Boy now I have to pay for it. LOL I sent the wire transfer and arranged for shipping from the Eastern US.
One week later the call came from foreward air the scooter was in South San Fransisco.
I took the day off from work and made the three hour drive to pick it up. When the fork lift set the crate on my trailer it was all I could do not to open it right then and there. The crate still had to go another three hours up
hwy 101. It was raining so I took it to my friends garage to open it up. It had only been ridden twelve miles since the restoration. It has the optional speedometer and rare front brake option. Needless to say I was very pleased! MY first "Odd" scoot.
When you pay that much for something off of pictures and a conversation a mind can run a muck about it's actual condition.

After putting gas in it & checking the oil, I started it up on the pal
let. I had to wait a couple of days to take it on the road. It did have a few bugs to work out with the fuel line a carburetor float. My first real outing was to the ScooterRosa rally in Santa Rosa CA. I took it along with my 1957 NSU Prima D and a 1947 Cushman. I made the ride but had problems with the mentioned carb float. It was quite a hit at the show and was picture in Urban Moto. I didn't know this until a friend gave me a copy. A pleasant suprise!



The scooter now runs & rides great. It does take a bit of getting comfortable with the way it feels. The throttle/gas pedal is on the floor like a car and the handle bars reach back to you. It's a very unique feel.

I took the scooter on a 100 mile ride. It will cruise at 60 mile an hour with a bit more in reserve. The one problem I did have was running out of gas. A ride out in the Sacremento valley with no gas stations will do that to you. LOL

More to come on my quest for Salsbury scooters.....

3 comments:

  1. What a great story! I did have some success with online ads - I placed a "Want It Now" ad on eBay as well as a request on MySpace page. And all of these are free. An Australian man saw my "Want It Now" Ad and so began my journey with the Tigress which is still continuing. I gave up (sort of) on ever finding a Faka!

    -Tracy
    OddScoot Group member

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracey,
    I enjoyed the story and pictures of your Tigress. Nice job on the restoration.

    The Faka is one of the ones on my wish list also. I haven't tried to hard find one though.
    Good luck with your search!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS IS.. the exact scoot I also desire to aquire! my dad had one and beat the crap out of it when he was 18 years old.. sold it to a neighbor kid and the rest is history.. he and I have been trying to get a hold of one ever since.. my journey has been one of bumps, bruises, and lost dreams. Bid on a couple, bought other rare scoots to satisfy my sweettooth in the interim, and chased stories and would be owners who either sold them out from under me, or, got cold feet and would not let the coveted 85 go.. I have been searching about 10 years and have a CZ Cezeta, a Velocette noddy bike, and had a Ducati Brio 100.. I also have 3 vintage full blown bikes.. but my quest for the model 85 goes on.. I say lucky you! and if you ever have your ear to the track and come across another.. do not hesitate to call or email me.. Im always ready to buy.. I do appreciate your blog and read it often.. thanks for the info and cool pics.. Dan Allen 503.421.4235 danfj40@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete