Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rare Honda N360 With a Laverda Twist Part 1

Yesterday I mentioned an outing for today. This story has the micro car guy or gal as well as the scooter guy or gal covered.

About two or th
ree months ago a friend of mine (Bill) asked if I would be interested in an early Honda car his friend had. Of course I was. He knows my ability to say no to old junkers is limited. Bill told me the phone number of Richard who owned the car. It was located in Boonville about an hour and ten minutes away.

I had recently brought home a Crosley station wagon had no more room; so I didn't act right away. A month goes by and I decide to call Richard about the car but have lost his phone number. A few more weeks go by. I call Bill, get Richards number and call. This brings us to March 12,2009, two days ago. I call and talk with Richard & set up a time to come over . Saturday the 14th is chosen.

I had mentioned the pos
sibility of making a the trip to my friend Alan and he was up for going along. At this point no real detail about the car was known. Alan and I figured it must be Honda 600 like the one I had in the past but had sold. Alan said it can't be the Honda 360, they were never imported to the United States.

Not wanting to take my gas hog truck, I was considering my van and small trailer. I new a 600 would just barely fit on the trailer. I gave Richard another call to ask just wha
t was I coming over to get? he said a Honda 360. A Honda 360? Are you sure? Yes; he says. It's a bit smaller than the 600. The van and trailer it would be.

I'm super excited about this car being a 360! Not sure if it really is but still excited. This could
be a super find! I call Alan tell him and he's just as jazzed as I am.

So; today at 8am we head out for Boonville. On the way Alan asks if I wouldn't mind stopping buy the local public radio station KZYX to see if the host of Trading Time (a live call in and sell your goods show) was in. Alan had called in several times and had a friendly repore. but had never met the host in person & would like to. I was up for it; on days like this there's no hurry.

We follow the dir
ections up the to Richards house out a couple miles on dirt road. No address, just about two miles to the yellow gate. When we get there I turn at what once must have been a yellow gate. Turns out to be the right place.

Sitting there on nice flat ground with a million dollar view was the Honda. It was the N360! Amazing. None were supposed to be imported to the United States. yet; here one is righ
t in front of us. First thing you notice is the hood is mangled. Other than that it's in good shape

Richard came out to greet us and told us about the car. Again; we meet another super nice person. He explains that the Honda was brought in buy a local man. Who while stationed in Korea bought the car new and had it shipped home with him.
When cleaning the car tonight I found the original bill of sale.
It's
dated January 7,1970 with a selling price of $865.00 out the door. Cool huh!
Anyways, back to the story. We back the trailer up to the car hook up the come along and start to p
ull her on. We have it just about all the way on and it's too long. The rear wheels are still on the ramps and we need about four more inches.
We talk about turning the car around, but decide it would put all the weight on the back of the trailer making it hard to tow. So; we decide to borrow a saw and cut the metal railing off the front of the trailer. After this it's a perfect fit.
Once again here I am cranking on the come along, and here is a shot of the car loaded and on it's way down theHill.
To be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Lee: You really know how to keep me in suspence!!! This is like the old serial films, where the hero is left hanging from a cliff or something, and you have to come back next week to find out what happens to them. I am dying for the Levrada twist (cool little scoot). Nice score on the Honda!

    ReplyDelete