Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Scooter That Started it all. Part Two

After my failed attempts to get the Scooter running. I went online and started searching for information on Cushman Eagle scooters. I found that there was going to be a Vintage scooter meet in Anderson California put on by Don Kuss & The California Cushman club. Anderson is only about a Three and a half to four hour drive away , so I decided to go.

I figured there would have to be people at the event who could point me in the right direction. I printed a registration form and sent it in. There was the option of camping at the event so I opted for that.

In my search it was also said the original Tilitson carburetor was not that good.
So feeling optimistic.
I bought & installed a Makuni Carb, new handle bars and throttle cable.

A month went by; I loaded up the Cushman in my van hooked up my teardrop trailer and hit the road. I arrived about 6pm on a Thursday. The event had already been going since Monday. I went to check in and was greeted by the most friendly people you will ever meet. I was told to set up my trailer any place I wanted, and was asked what kind of scooter did I have. I told them of my problems and was assured I would get help.


After setting up the trailer and unloading the non running, very rough looking scooter. I wheeled it into the main building. Where a crowd of old timers gathered around. I went through my story and was told by Doug Baldanzi that the coil I had purchased was a piece of junk. He happens to sell Cushman parts and had a "good one." This was the beginning of my tab with Doug. After purchasing the coil I also bought a used head and gasket as mine was stripped. Over the next two hours. I put in the new coil, replaced the head, kicked it over and POP POP POP. I had the biggest grin in the world right then. All of the onlookers did too. Quit a moment when perfect strangers feel just as happy for you as you feel yourself!

It was now dark, but; After some adjustment to the throttle and Carb. I went for a ride around the fair grounds. You could hear the old worn out main bearings growling but I didn't care. It was alive again after 25 years of sitting neglected. I went to bed a happy man!

The next morning was a ride and I planned to be on it. Getting up early to change the 25 year old oil before hand. Doug came over and offered some of the best advise. He said that those old square edged wheel barrel tires are dangerous. You should buy new tires. From me or somebody else, I don't want to see you get hurt.
So on the tab goes a nice set of 12 inch polished aluminum wheels with zippy tires. Wow; is all I can say. A day and night difference in ride and looks.

It's time to go for the ride. having never been on a group ride on a Cushman. I figured the ride would be maybe ten miles or so. Wrong. These guys go on rides. Picture 40 or more Cushmans going down the road at once. It sounded just like a group of Harleys.
After a 20 miles or so I start wondering if my untested scooter would make it. I did Great on the flats but the hills slowed me down. I think I can, I think I can, up over the top and down the other side.

We finally stop for a rest. The group comes over congratulating me that I'm still with them. Everybody laughing. Asking how much further? They tell me another 25-30 miles at least! Hope I make it.

During the trip a couple of beautifully restored scooters quit and had to be loaded in the chase truck. Not me.

When we finally arrive back at the fair grounds. I'm stoked to have made it. All of the guys come over and start telling me how great my old scooter is and how they had bets on whether or not I would finish the ride. They were amazed I did.
I was hooked!!
I went on three more long rides with out missing a beat.

This started my quest/addiction for scooters.

After three seasons of riding I had the motor rebuilt. It now has 10hp compared to the original 8. It will now accelerate up hills with no problem.

3 comments:

  1. Lee you know how to tell a story, I felt as though I was there when you first started that Cushman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks John.
    I don't consider myself a writer,so it's nice to know the story was enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. custom

    ReplyDelete