Monday, March 2, 2009

Hunting For The Elusive Salsbury 85

I promised I would tell more about my search for the Salsbury model 85 scooter.

Well as I said in my last post I placed adds with no success. That is until I paid the big bucks on eBay for one.
One evening after work I get an email. It's from a man who says he just saw two Salsbury scooters in Phoenix Arizona area. He had been there with a friend who was buying a Cushman and had noticed
them in the corner.
Needless to say that little shot of adrenalin kicked in and my mind started to run. (just a bit wild) Would they be nice originals that have been sitting for years, will they be runners, and can I afford them etc...

I phoned the man who sent the email to get contact information on the scooters. He was a very nice man. I
got the low down on the Salsbury's. "They are projects" he said. look to be complete; but not sure. After a nice conversation he gave me the gentleman's phone number in Phoenix.

I called and reached a very nice m
an (I'll call him john) who said; " I haven't thought about selling them, but; would consider it." I asked him how much and was told ' I have to think about it call me back tomorrow"

I called John the next evening to see what the verdict was. I was told he would sell them but I had to take everything Salsbury he had; all the spare parts, "everything". At this point I was afra
id to ask how much. We talked a bit more about scooters and found out he owned over 100. All vintage American. I new I had to make the over 950 mile trip to Phoenix just to see the collection if nothing else.
He finally gave me a price on the Salsbu
ry's. It was a bit more than I had in mind. Just with my short amount of conversation with John; It was clear that trying to haggle over the price. The door would be shut. So we made the deal and date about a month away for me to come down.

On a Friday afternoon around 3:00 pm, I hooked up my little trailer,throw a sleeping bag and pillow in t
he van, and take off for Arizona. My plan was to drive into the night until tired and sleep somewhere on the roadside. I'm now about 81/2 to 9 hours into the trip. I'm tired and find out the Grapevine pass on interstate five is close due to snow. I pull over look at the map and find a way around the mountain range. I decide to stop for the night and park behind a gas station and climb into the sleeping bag. Then it hits me, I'm by myself behind a gas station, in the middle of the night, with a pile of cash. I'm not usually the nervous type. I don't have this much cash with me most of the time either. I hide the cash put a 100 dollars in my wallet. Thinking this would satisfy any would be robbers.

I woke up a few hours later and headed out on the remaining 6+ hours of the drive.
When reaching Phoenix I called John and received better directions than the ones from map quest that had
me circling the city. I arrived at my destination around dusk; and was glad to be out of the car!
I was told to drive around back. I was surprised to see a very large brick commercial building. After the introductions, the door was rolled up and there where the two Salsbury. A little rougher than I had pictured.
I had second thoughts about the deal for a few seconds until I really took stock of "everything."

I could see right away that lots of boxes where needed. I asked John if he had any and was told no. So we decided to go eat and buy some plastic totes.
After getting the totes packing everyth
ing in the trailer, Johns friend shows up. We teased him about his good timing and had a good laugh.

I was still wondering if I was going to see the collection? The Salsbury scooters had been in this one little garage part of the building. Nothing else could be seen. I think John must have been sizing me up. He offer to show me his collection.

He took me through a double steel door a
nd every scooter junkies dream appeared. A 30 foot by 40-50 foot room with scooters stacked two and three high on commercial shelving. One wall with box after box of hard to find spare parts. it was almost too much to take in.
Here is one shelving unit of mostly Mustang scooters waiting for restoration.

After drooling over several of the scooters for quite a while it was time for me to leave. As we head for the door John asks me if I want to see the other room? Other Room I think? I told him thanks for the offer but no. I have a long way home and it's really late as it is. So we shook hands said our goodbyes and I left for the long drive home.
OK; You really didn't think I said no thanks did you? Of course not; a scooter junkie offered the equivalent of a pile of coc
aine!! "Hell yes;" I said.
We now go into a very nice show room type setting. The scooters are all shiny and lined up along the walls and down the center. John's friend says to me, " He must like you. No one gets to come in here" Needless to say I felt very privileged to be in that room.

We spent an other hour in there. He offered to sell some of the scooters at what I felt were very reasonab
le prices so I bought Two centaur folding scooters and a restored Cushman Eagle. I was just able to jam these three in my minivan.
My poor van was over loaded and had a trailer full of Salsbury on it. To top it off it was very late and I couldn't sleep in the back of the van anymore.

This time we did say our goodbyes and I left for Good old Northern California. I drove through the night and " slept" in the drivers seat somewhere south of Bakersfield.

Since I was near Bakersfield. I call a man only know through phone conversations and asked if I could stop buy and see his scooters.He said sure come on by. (he had a very rare Powell I wanted to see. but; that's an other story)

I made it home Sunday night tired and ready to sleep in my own bed. The next day I took these pictures of the trailer full of Salsbury. There turned out to be some NOS parts and a hard to find original speedometer
among this pile of stuff.






7 comments:

  1. Lee: Great story! You were quite lucky to stumble on to this treasure trove. Keep us posted on your scooter adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lee, if I recall rightly you've posted some photos of your garage on the net and you've now got one of those shelves stacked with scooters. I also recall seeing - what was it - six Salsbury's? You're getting greedy now.
    I suppose I could count the number of Salsbury's in Australia on the fingers of one hand. Fortunately there is one in an vintage auto museum near me in Perth.
    I suppose you've seen Chavattov's video of his test ride somewhere in France (I think). Cool
    How fast does a Salsbury go?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkPeThmrZZE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,
    Yes; I have a picture of the garage online. The Salsbury's from the post are the ones in the picture. I never have had 6 of them just four. One restored and three projects.
    As you probably know when you're looking for a hard to find scooter or parts you pick up what you come across. If I can afford it, that's what I do.
    I've helped a few people get Salsbury's on the road from the pile of extra parts that came with these two.
    I have seen the Video of Chavattov's Model 85. May be this summer I will post a video of mine.
    Thanks for checking in!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi my name is mark i have a 62 centaur folding scooter where do i get parts for this bike, i need grips,rubber handle for pull start,the carry strap and a muffler any help will be great
    thanks
    mark
    978-420-9144
    planetzproductions@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a customer with two Centaur scooters, and have made the side panels, kick panel and fender for these, and have the molds available to make additional parts. Have them on Ebay or call us at 800-627-6004.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Greetings. This post is really good and blog is really interesting. It gives good details.

    Trailers Parts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lee! I would love to talk to you more about Salsbury if you have a moment? My great grandfather helped start the company and was a big part of it as far as I know and I have a motor and would love to find a frame if you have any ideas on where I could find one? Thank you for your time. Kim

    ReplyDelete