Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Getting The Rolletta Ready


Well; here it is again. Almost time to head for Las Vegas & the High Rollers scooter Rally. I've made my reservations and am going to be staying in a new Airstream trailer. This is perfect for me as I love to camp and usually have my teardrop.

All along the plan has been to take my 1954 Rohr Rolletta. Many think I'm crazy for taking such an old scooter. Maybe they're right. But; I just have to do it. The new scooters just don't do it for me. I must need that little bit of "will I make it?" to enjoy myself. Most of the time I do; and that's the joy of it for me. Even when I'm broken down on the side of the road it's still fun for me. The only time it's a bummer is
if I'm slowing someone else down.

Sorry I digress.

As usual I have hundred things going and am down to the wire on having the Rolletta ready. When getting the scooter home after picking it up in San Diego CA. it had been rattle can primered over the original paint. I decided to try sanding the primer off & get back to the paint. After several hours of sanding very carefully doing my best not to go through the original paint; the leg shield was done. I then took buffed it with rubbing compound and then a coat of wax. I was happy with this so on to the main body. As I started sanding it was obvious the same process wouldn't work as the original paint had been sanded mostly off.

I decided to paint the rear body in an attempt to make it more presentable. After trying several off the shelf colors that stank. I drove 20 mile to a paint store and had some paint mixed to match the spare tire mount. The store can put this paint into rattle cans for you. After painting the body (over dents and all) it has just been sitting in my dining room. That is untill last night. I made a lisence plate bracket, fixed & mounted the tail light, changed the oil, and put on the few pieces of trim I have for it.

This evening I took it for a short shake down ride and every thing seems in working order. This scooter had been sitting several years before I got it. Now I'm taking it to Las Vegas then San Diego and then a ride up the California coast to San Louis Obispo. I thinks she will make it. I haven't taken any pictures with the body painted but will and put them up later. I don't have a lap top but will try to post up here during my trip. These videos are three months old & poor quality but show you the Rohr.

1 comment:

  1. Lee Have a BLAST in Vegas!! Post those pix when you can I look forward to seeing them. When you get the chance I would love to read your stories on how you aqured the Roletta and the car in the photo, Is that a 53 Chevy?

    John D.

    ReplyDelete