Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rare Honda N360 With a Laverda Twist Part 2












After we got down the hill we decide to go by the radio station and see if we can meet the radio show host ( I’ll call him mike) we get there early and he hasn’t arrived yet. Not wanting to sit around for an hour we head out to cruise the side streets in search of treasure.

The first stop is to be two cab over Jeep trucks Alan spotted while on the way in. When we arrive they’re sitting back off of the road about 50 yards near a garage sized shed amongst the grape vines.

Coincidence, fate, I don’t know but on the gate post; Mike the radio hosts last name. Could it be mikes house and his Jeeps? We both wonder. Not wanting to trespass we decide to go over to a nearby house and ask. We end up talking to a renter and he informs us that yes; those are mike the radio hosts Jeeps. He would call Mike and see if it was OK to check out the trucks.

Mike said it was fine for us to have a look. We walked back and took a look at the Jeeps. Sitting there behind the Jeeps in the shed were a vintage BMW motorcycle, a small Yamaha dirt bike, and next to them a partially covered 1961 Laverda 50cc scooter. A true barn find!

Alan and I both looked at each other, knowing each of us wanted that scooter. LOL

This Laverda scooter had only 574 miles on the odometer and an original California Black and yellow license plate with an encircled E . Meaning this was a state or municipal owned scooter when new. It also still has the dealer sticker on the side.

One thing for sure we had to go back to the radio station to ask Mike about it. On our way there Alan said he could see how bad I wanted the scooter and I could buy it if it was for sale. But; I would owe him one.

Along the way back we (mostly me) stop and look through the fence at an old fire truck. Common sense kicks in and we drive on.

In another blog I will write of some other oversized cars in my possession.

We get to the radio station before mike and wait. When he arrives Alan introduces himself and Mike remembers him right away. They talk about the Jeep trucks. I’m introduced by Alan who informs mike I want to buy his scooter. Mike says he had it running at one time only not very well. It turns out he will sell it. He now has only a couple of minutes to be on the air, so I pay him real fast and we say our good byes.

Now; happy as a clam off to pick up the Laverda. We arrive at the shed, load the scooter, and head home along the way picking up some delicious Thai food for lunch.
















After getting home I spend a couple of hours scrubbing the moss & lichen from the Honda n360. Another forty five minutes cleaning the dirt and oil off of the Laverda. It’s amazing what a little elbow grease will do. In the next few days I plan to wax them both.

I hope this story was enjoyable and not too long.

Lee


Laverda movie link; http://www.laverdaforhealth.org/laverda-video.wmv




3 comments:

  1. Lee: you have the Luck of the Irish! I can't believe you keep stumbling on to these awsome toys!!!! I wish I had your luck!!

    Best Wishes
    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    I have been lucky sometimes. This trip in particular. I feel this time it was just meant to be. Of course I haven't told any of the stories where it was a total bust. They happen more than this type of trip. Maybe I will have to some time.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete